The School was founded in 1935 by Mr & Mrs Burges remained proprietorial until 1987 when Mrs Burges was able to secure the long term future of the School by creating Staines Preparatory School Trust.
The School began as a boys only school but very soon admitted girls in order that siblings could attend the same school, and as such is the most long standing co-educational independent school in the area.
In 2002 SPS was accredited and became a member of IAPS (The Independent Association of Prep Schools) which, ensures that all of its member schools are of a high standard through regular inspections and by providing training for staff and advice on all school matters.
On 8th May 2010 the School celebrated its 75th Anniversary with an Open House event which many former pupils, parents, staff and governors attended. Some photos from the event can be seen here on the right.
A 'Brief History of Staines Prep from 1935 to 2010' can be downloaded here as a PDF.